Monday, November 21, 2005

Bruneau Dunes




This weekend we went camping at Bruneau Dunes State Park. Well, sort of. We had a heated cabin, but the bathrooms were 100 yards away. That qualifies as camping, right? :) The weather was great, and we really had a fun time! Bailey loved the sand dunes. He would run up and down as fast as he could, while we sat at the top and watched. Robert said it was easier for him because he has twice as many legs. :) Robert gave Bailey a little "help" a couple of times. He didn't seem to mind being thrown off the top too much, but I told my husband he was not allowed to do that with the kids in the future. I took some better pictures (I think) with my SLR, so I will post those when I get them developed. Here is a little about the dunes. They are pretty interesting, especially considering the location!

The dunes at Bruneau Dunes State Park are unique in the Western Hemisphere. Others in the Americas form at the edges of natural basins; these form near the center. They include the largest single-structured sand dune in North America, with a peak 470 feet above the lakes.The combination of 1) a source of sand; 2) a relatively constant wind activity; and 3) a natural trap have caused sand to collect in this semicircular basin for about 12,000 years. Unlike most dunes, these do not drift far. The prevailing winds blow from the southeast 28 percent of the time and from the northwest 32 percent of the time, keeping the dunes fairly stable. The two prominent dunes cover about 600 acres.

2 Comments:

Blogger Khrista said...

Wow, I really am going to have to visit Idaho some day! Beautiful!

November 21, 2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth City Johnsons said...

yeah from the pics I see of Idaho, it is a very beutiful place to live! Great for Photography! Maybe Khris and I will be able to make it out there someday and see all of you. oh reply from the comment on my page...yeah Matt's Family is in N.Y. :-) hey, why doesn't Arin have a blog yet???? Tell her she better get busy!

November 22, 2005 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My grace is sufficient for you,
for My strength is made perfect in weakness.
- 2 Cor. 12:9