Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Chile!

We leave this Saturday for Chile! I can't believe it's almost here already! It doesn't seem real yet... it probably won't until we are getting on the plane.

We will be working with a team of 34 people from all over the US and Canada at a girls orphanage in Santiago. We are working with Vision for Chile and will be doing various building projects and spending some time with the girls there. I will be working in the kitchen a lot, as I agreed to be head cook for the two weeks. Yikes! I am a little nervous, as I have never cooked for that many people before, but I am excited, and from what I have heard I will have some good, experienced help on my team! I have spent the last few weeks putting together menus and recipes and shopping lists, and I feel almost ready. Ok, not really, but I know that God is really the one in charge, and that things will work out. :)



It takes a looooooooooong time to get to Chile... about 18 hours total travel time!! We fly from Boise to Salt Lake, then to Atlanta, then overnight to Santiago, Chile.

Please keep us and the rest of the team in your prayers for the next few weeks.
Some things you can pray for are:
  • Safety as we travel, and as we work
  • Unity among the team members
  • Ability to communicate despite language barriers
  • For God to prepare the hearts of those we are trying to reach
  • For humility and willingness to serve where needed
  • For wisdom for me in my leadership role in the kitchen
We return home on October 21st. I will try to post pictures as soon as possible after we return!
*I was going to try to post the pictures from our road trip to Arizona, Nevada & the Grand Canyon before we leave, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I will have to do it when we get back... our computer is going to the computer doctor while we're gone, so hopefully it will run much faster and make posting much easier when we return!

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

ill keep y'all in my prayers!

October 03, 2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Khrista said...

That is a very long trip. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity though!
2 weeks eh? That's quite a trip! I'm sure you will do awesome in the kitchen! What a great job!
I'll keep you in my prayers!

October 03, 2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger Khrista said...

I just noticed your new quote on the sidebar...did you read that in The Irresistible Revolution! I think I made a mental note of that quote too! I HAVE to buy that book! It's awesome!

October 04, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger K~ said...

What a wonderful opportunity Amy! Who all from The Rock is going? I'll definately keep you in my prayers. If you need any recipes let me know. :D Love ya lots!

~Kylie Jo

October 04, 2007 7:23 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi Amy,

This is Bonnie, friend of Khrista. I came over to your blog through your comment on her blog about my recipe site. I would love it if you linked to it from your website ! In fact, if you want to post some recipes (I see from this post you must be an amazing cook !!) just send me your email address and I'll send you an invite so you can !!

I am definately going to come back and visit again. I can't wait to hear about your trip to Chile ! I'm dying to do some more traveling. My 5 year old son and I were talking this morning about Spain. He was begging me to go ! I so want to take him ( I grew up there ) but it's not like we have a charter jet or a money tree, right !? ha. Anyway ... have fun ! Want to know something ? My son's middle name is SANTIAGO !! It means St. James in Spanish and James is a family name ... plus my Spanish roots ... that's how we came up with it.

Anyway, I'd better stop talking or you'll think I'm a total nut job. I'm not ! I'm just happy to meet you and excited about your trip !

Bonnie

October 04, 2007 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My grace is sufficient for you,
for My strength is made perfect in weakness.
- 2 Cor. 12:9